STEAM education is vital to a student’s success in the 21st century, as tomorrow’s leaders need to becollaborative decision-makers and critical reflective thinkers, capable of working in multidisciplinary teams. The Junior STEAM Excellence program is an innovative, academically challenging and inspiring learning pathway for those students who excel in their subjects, specifically in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (STEAM).
All students in the STEAM excellence classes participate in enrichment programs and activities throughout the year that challenge, motivate and engage students. Benefits of the STEAM program include:
- Inquiry based approach to Science, taking on global perspectives and live classroom interactionswith countries around the world.
- Innovative use of Technology
- Cutting-edge Engineering including rapid prototyping using 3D printing, laser technologies anddesign-based approaches to learning.
- Developing critical thinking and innovation through the Arts, with the co-curricular Music program,enhancing the practical and theoretical understanding of the Science, numeracy and audio-engineering skills required to create music.
- Student driven inquiry tasks in Mathematics.
Who should apply?
Prospective (including out of catchment) and current students in Years 6, 7 and 8 and who are performing well academically and are highly motivated.
Students who enjoy a challenging learning environment.
ApplicationPrint & fill out to return in person to the college administration
Fillable in PDF and return via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
With a large number of students applying each year, places within the STEAM Academic Excellence Program are very competitive. Applications are assessed by a selection panel and final places in the program are offered based on:
- High academic achievement in Science and Mathematics.
- General academic ability as demonstrated by English achievement, NAPLAN results andthe “Australian Council for Educational Research General Ability Test”.
- Behaviour and effort data – report cards and OneSchool records (state school students).
- Attendance data for the previous year.
Please refer to the application above for all upcoming test dates.
Our STEAM Academic Excellence Program is also in partnership with the University of Southern Queensland.