RISE Excellence Program in English and Humanities
The RISE Excellence Program is an invitation only class designed to challenge and extend students who have a passion and aptitude in the English and Humanities disciplines. The program is offered in year 8 and 9 and aims to extend and stimulate students whilst still progressing with standard Australian curriculum.
The RISE program:
- nurtures a range of important skills and attributes, such as creativity, collaboration, communication, problem solving and critical thinking.
- emphasises strong reading habits and develops communication and writing skills.
- prepares students for the analytical, critical and creative thinking skills and communication skills required for senior schooling leading to university studies.
- encourages involvement in extracurricular activities and external competitions to enrich and enhance their learning.
Students will be invited to join the excellence program if they demonstrate:
- high motivation and academic capability (A or B) in English and Humanities subjects
- a love for learning and enjoyment of critical and creative thinking and problem solving
- demonstrate RISE values including excellent attendance, effort and behaviour (Excellent or Very Good)
- Students must continue to demonstrate these conditions and attributes while in the program.
- Digital literacy is also a key component of this program so students are required to provide a BYOD device to participate in this program.
- If a Year 8 student is not offered a placement, or does not take up the offer, it will not prevent the student from being offered a placement into the Year 9 extension program the following year.
- Students must live within the school catchment.
RISE students will take part in a variety of activities that enrich and enhance their learning. These may include:
- participation a variety of national academic competitions such as ICAS English and the Australian History or Geography Competition
- Optiminds Creative Sustainability Challenge
- Write that Essay writing program
- Book in Day competition
- Author workshops and Brisbane Writer's Festival
- incursions from and excursions to universities
*Academic competitions and excursions may incur a cost which will be invoiced as required.
Joining the RISE program
Students will be issued with an invitation letter at the beginning of term 4. Parents and students will need to sign and return the form to indicate agreement to participate for the following academic year.